Samick "Cat" Grand

Clark A. Sprague csprague4 at woh.rr.com
Sun Feb 24 16:43:01 MST 2008

Here you go Terry.  This is the worst caster.  Which brings me to the next
question.  When the lady told me that someone told her it needed a new
soundboard, I will admit that I wasn't about to go crawling under the piano
to look at the bottom of the board.  It was not cracked, just some stains on
the top side (and it looks like they will clean up just fine). The bridges
are fine, as well.
	So, I thought, maybe she heard pinblock, and didn't know the
difference.  So I got out my hammer, tried the pins in the worst area of the
pins, and they are not loose.  The action also cleaned up very nicely
(protected by the plate, for the most part).  So I thought, soundboard and
block are going to be ok, and bought it for cheap.
	I wonder if the prevailing wisdom of the List would give me their
advice on the block.  I was thinking that maybe I could get by with
re-drilling the block to get at new wood in the pin holes, say drill for 3's
or 4's.  I wonder at the ability of the plate bushings to keep most of the
cat problem above the top surface of the block, or should I just replace the
block and have it over with?  I am thinking that if I remove the plate, and
find out that not much staing has occurred on the top of the block, maybe
just re-drilling would be sufficient.  What say you all?  Clark A. Sprague,
RPT