Pinblock transfer agent

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Feb 25 11:27:59 MST 2008

> I have experimented with chalk, graphite and crayon and maybe other
> products that I've forgotten to show witnessing between plate and
> pinblock for fitting, and for one reason or another I've not been
> completely satisfied with any of them. Nothing seems as good as the
> original graphite coating used by S&S. This original agent works through
> the fitting process until I get to the very last couple of passes when
> I've got almost a complete fit and need a couple more re-applications.
> I would so much appreciate hearing what you use, where you get it and
> how you mix & apply it.
> Thanks,
> Fenton

If what's on the plate already isn't enough, I use a slurry of
powdered graphite and water, brushed onto the flange. After
getting what I consider a reasonable fit, I glass them in with
the final plate positioning, with West System and colloidal
silica. Do they need fitted at all when they're glassed in? As
much as I take off the transition area between the webbing and
flange to accommodate high spots, I think so to minimize
stress on the plate when it's screwed down. As far as flange
fit to the plate? I don't know, but I fit 'em anyway. I
neither top fit (except for obvious discontinuities), nor
glass the webbing area.
Ron N