Pinblock transfer agent

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Feb 25 15:02:01 MST 2008

> It looks to me like Steinway doesn't put anything on the plate, but rather,
> coats the front of the pinblocks and then begin fitting them by removing all
> the shiney spots that appear when the plate is dropped in.

The thought has occurred to me. Still, a fair amount of the
stuff remains on the plate, and sticks to it better than dry
or water slurry graphite. Maybe they graphited both surfaces.

>There is a lot of
> untouched surface on these blocks, but the graphite is all over the front edge.

Sure is, but it's all over the plate flange too.

> It also seems that extra care is taken to make sure the lower edge fits
> best,(perhaps to make it appear to a feeler gauge that there is total contact ?)
> Regards,
>
> Ed Foote RPT

Oh surely not! <G> I've often wondered what sort of QC
procedures, or lack thereof, accounted for what we see in
these old pianos. The QC is instrumental (sorry) in defining
most processes.
Ron N