Pinblock transfer agent

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Feb 26 11:20:00 MST 2008

> I think Steinway traditionally applied the agent to the plate and then
> at the end of the process went ahead and completely coated the block.

That's what it looks like to me.

> The reason I've heard is to allow it to move smoothly rather than jump
> when under load.
> Fenton

I'd put that one under the heading of concentrated sheep dip.
An after the fact justification for having tried to disguise
the not very good fitting of the block to the flange. But then
in Steinway's case, it didn't likely matter all that much.
With all the tuning pins riding the plate, the flange fit is a
rather superfluous detail.
Ron N