Wood Specie Insert for Capstan

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 17:12:19 MST 2008

1/4" x 1" plug cutter; order many, as these tend to burn out on production.
http://tinyurl.com/ywqz7j

Attached is a photo of capstan plugs cut with this cutter from old keys
as well as 1/2" & 5/8" cut with these long cutters:
http://tinyurl.com/32gsxm
these are self-ejecting and really cool.

Capstan plugs are cut straight down into the key almost to the bottom
and then ripped loose on a band saw.

The long, larger plugs are cut fore and aft of the front rail mortice.

Not much is wasted, lead is recycled to other key releading procedures
and the capstans are saved if they are of the pointed-tool variety to
replace in the event of a square-type being relocated. I have ample sets now..
only better iterations are saved.

Not too long ago I work over a Hardman Mini-Piano. Since I recovered the keys
(had a partial set anyway) I changed the square capstans for the pointed-tool
type and made a special tool to adjust them more easily which hangs inside
the piano. Definitely a labor of love but worth every second for experience...
never again !
--

Regards,

Jon Page