Treasures in pianos

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 28 08:47:03 MST 2008

At 06:28 AM 2/28/2008, Paul T. Williams wrote:

>The coolest things I found in a piano was a 1905 Canadian penny (big
>like a 50 cent piece and brass, I think) and a liberty dime.  pw

Then there are the tear-jerkers. One time inside an old upright
belonging to an elderly lady I found an old photograph of a beautiful
young woman (obviously herself years ago) with a man who appeared to
be a "significant other". Or perhaps the "love interest of the
moment"? Who knows. But she became visibly emotional when she saw it...

Sometimes the tears (of frustration?) are mine.There's the Stieff
grand that I couldn't get the action out of for a long time - it just
wouldn't move. I don't remember how I finally got it out - but it
turned out that someone dropped a bunch of saltwater taffy into the
keybed (in the treble, where there is a space between the strings and
the rim). It melted and glued the keyframe to the keybed... Took a
long time to scrape it all off..

Israel Stein