Small Oval Tuning Tip

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 28 17:16:44 MST 2008

I posted on this piano a month or so ago looking for a source for a tuning tip to fit its pins. I have refined my needs. This is an 85-note English (I presume) birdcage action piano made by J. Strohmenger & Sons #4852 (anyone got a Pierce Atlas - and a date? I can't find mine.).

It has oblong heads on the tuning pins. The pins are small - I didn't pull one, so I'm not sure what size they are, but they look like 1/0 or so. My oval tuning tip will turn the pins, but it is quite a bit larger than optimal - it gets stuck on the pins because it is too large. My oval tuning tip works fine on the large old American square grands.

Does anyone know of where I can get an oval tuning tip that is smaller than the standard one available from the supply houses? I've talked to the supply houses and harsicord builders and have had no luck.

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano

www.farrellpiano.com
terry at farrellpiano.com