Small oval tuning tip

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Feb 28 18:07:30 MST 2008

My copy of The Musicians Piano Atlas (Copyright Omicron Publishing Limited
1981) has the following information on Strohmenger:

#3010 c.1875
#5000    1895
#7200    1900
#11700  1910
#15890  1920
etc.

Company ceased trading in 1937 Production was continued by various unknown
manufacturers until 1960.

Let Pierce sue me if they will for putting this information here - I don't
own and have never owned their book and I didn't get this information out of
it!

I've tuned a few Strohmengers, but none, so far as I recall, with oval pins.
I do have an oval head for my Heckschers lever and it seems fairly small but
I don't know how it compares with those in the US.

Best,

David.

"I posted on this piano a month or so ago looking for a source for a tuning
tip to fit its pins. I have refined my needs. This is an 85-note English (I
presume) birdcage action piano made by J. Strohmenger & Sons #4852 (anyone
got a Pierce Atlas - and a date? I can't find mine.).

It has oblong heads on the tuning pins. The pins are small - I didn't pull
one, so I'm not sure what size they are, but they look like 1/0 or so. My
oval tuning tip will turn the pins, but it is quite a bit larger than
optimal - it gets stuck on the pins because it is too large. My oval tuning
tip works fine on the large old American square grands.

Does anyone know of where I can get an oval tuning tip that is smaller than
the standard one available from the supply houses? I've talked to the supply
houses and harsicord builders and have had no luck.

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano"