Pneumatic presses

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 29 00:29:42 MST 2008

Hi Bob.

That sounds really good and all, but the fact is that you don't really
need this self-equalizing aspect. All that is needed is enough pressure
along the length of the rib to do the job, and at the same time not too
much. Ok... that said.. the hose systems being used there seem very very
convenient and can easily enough be made to inflate quickly and
simultaneously.

Strikes me tho that there are several ways of going about providing more
then adequate pressure without air driven systems tho. But then having
no experience with doing any of this.... I of course have to nod
appreciatively to those who do for the moment, and keep my own thoughts
for experimentation some time in the near future.

One other point... I liked Rons comment about securing the ribs against
any movement  regardless of how stable the system seems. Strikes me as
an extra measure of caution that cant hurt and no doubt can potentially
save a rather large headache... from time to time.  Glue is slippery
stuff when wet.

All this said... Davids contribution here is a fine one.... deserving of
a good long segment in the Tools and Tips bit in the journal... if not a
shorter feature article. Nicely done once again.  I'm sure several minds
are already working on some refinements to the basic idea.

Cheers
RicB

    The beauty of the pneumatic systems is that the pressure is
    self-equalizing, instead of having spots of higher and lower
    pressure, and one size fits all.

    Bob D

        I think that getting the rib (of various lengths) positioned
        under enough
        leaf springs to provide adequate clamping pressure to press the
        whole thing
        into a curved caul is asking too much of that type of arrangement.

        David Love

    Why can't a few leaf springs be used instead of all this fancy air
    stuff?
    --

    Regards,

    Jon Page