Small Oval Tuning Tip

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 29 03:47:17 MST 2008

Hi Terry -

  Just last week I de-strung a Knabe square grand which had the same smaller oblong pins you refer to below.  First time I have run across pins like that - and not tapered either, which kind of surprised me.  They were just slightly smaller than 1/0.  Anyway, after the first 6 or so pins got stuck in my oblong tip, I CA'd a shim of thin spring steel into the tip and it worked pretty well.  The shim fell out about halfway thru, CA'd it again and made it almost to the end, CA'd it again and made it thru to the end.  Not real elegant, but I was on-site, not in my shop, and it at least got me thru.

  Mark