Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 09:29:52 MST 2008

I hadn't heard that Mason & Hamlin, Charles Walter, Astin-Weight, and I'm
certain I missed some had stopped production of grand pianos here in the US.
Perhaps Baldwin knows something we don't, or maybe they are being
misleading? Naw Baldwin wouldn't do that.
Laying off 34 workers, most probably the ones making the most and therefore
the most knowledgable and skilled sounds like a typical "corporate"
decision. It's called saving the company money and to h__l with the quality
of the instrument!

We've seen this corporate model at work before Kimball was purchased by a
furniture company back in the '60's and the corporate feeling was, if we can
build furniture, we can build pianos! So they dumped the highly paid,
skilled piano men and their pianos began the long spiral toward the end, as
the cabinet's looks and quality began to far outweigh the quality,
musicality or playability of the instrument. They had a golden opportunity
when they purchased Bosendorfer to LEARN something but squandered it using
hints at something resembling Bosie quality with their Vienese edition but
never actually accomplishing it. So when they announced cessation of piano
production some 9 or was it 10 years ago we all rejoiced even though we knew
we would be working on this crap for the rest of our working lives.
Of course there were others who went more quietly and with less fanfare,
just quietly going bankrupt, Aeolien, Story & Clark, Kohler & Cambell and
many others.
So now it will be Baldwins turn to struggle for a while and then decide to
guitar necks or go all Chinese built or just quit altogether, it's always
interesting to watch how history repeats itself and how they just never seem
to learn from the other guy's mistakes or successes.

Mike

--
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com