Piano Atlas

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 29 10:48:43 MST 2008

Aside from the current discussion about the Pierce Atlas I would like to give you a hint to the existance of an European Atlas. Of course it has its focus on European pianos, but it might be helpful for you, too. It´s called Atlas der Pianonummern, is written by jan Großbach and is edited by Edition Bochinksy. What I really like: there are not only the numbers of the instruments, but also the numbers of actions and key frames (keyboards, keys?). So, if you have a no name piano with a Langer action that has a number, you can say when it was built. Furthermore, it has a good collection of the decals of many brands with their graphical logo. Sometimes you have a piano without a written name but with a decal on its frame. With that atlas you can find out the name of the brand.

And for those of you who can read German: there is a pretty cool Lexikon Deutscher Klavierbauer. It has tons of information about the brands. Founded or dissolved in which year, who was chairman, decorated with which medals, adresses and so on......

Both books are available at German piano part supliers like Jahn, Baumgärtel, Meyne and probably Renner too.

Gregor