CF Tuning Lever

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Fri Feb 29 14:26:24 MST 2008

Hi all.

I would have never believed it if I didn't
experience it for myself...

Today was my first day with a new Carbon Fiber
tuning lever from Charles Faulk. A good one word
answer to how I feel about it: wow.

I pulled it out of the box this morning - first
tuning was a Baldwin Vertical that hasn't been
tuned since before Charles was making
Titanium(yes, I own one)..once I got past how
light the lever is, and how effortless it moves
even these tight tuning pins, it was almost
business as usual...why almost?

Because the most revealing feature of a lever
this light and this stiff is how easily the pins
now set. That little bit of 'meow' that we all
do battle with when setting pins was a breeze.
I'm not sure exactly why it was so easy..but I
did notice that I was using more of my torso to
tune than the arm and shoulder area.

The next piano was a beauty - Yamaha CFlll. My
experience with this particular piano is one of
fun and very easy to tune. This lever acted like
butter on a hot skillet with these pins.

I still can't get over how quickly and
effortlessly this lever moves pins. If you go to
his site:

http://www.faulkpiano.com/CFTuningHammer/

the one he sent me looks an awful lot like
CF1..and if it is, you will be signing this
tuning lever in Anaheim, Mr. Faulk. I remember
asking you about CF when you were first
experimenting with it..asking for a sample to
try. You said you weren't ready. It was worth
the wait.

  I am immensely impressed. That's not something
I say often.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)