Treasures in pianos

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Fri Feb 29 15:36:37 MST 2008

While tuning an old Steinway Upright I noticed many tuning dates in pencil from the early 1900s, all from the same tuner. I also noticed an arrow pointing to a note in the tuning pin area with the word 'buzz', same handwriting from the same era, sure enough it was still buzzing, mind you I'm on the scene maybe 85 years later. I can't leave this one alone, I looked around, pulled the action and saw the bridge notching just a little bit off with the string contacting the bridge side cut on a firm blow, a little chisel work and all is well. That guy can sleep now. We gotta help each other out in this biz.
Fenton