Listing: Clementi square ~1821 on Ebay $1K @ 1 day left

stuka at mindspring.com stuka at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 29 20:22:26 MST 2008

Dunno if anyone would be interested in this piano, but it seems that it might possibly be historically interesting, so I thought I'd post it.  I'm not the seller or acquainted with the seller.

Ebay: 280203686581

Here's the seller's write-up on this auction:

"CLEMENTI PIANO FORTE circa 1821

     "This 1821 Piano was produced by Clementi & Company, 26 Cheapside, London England, makers of fine instruments including George Washington’s piano just a few years earlier.  Muzio Clementi (1752-1832 ) was an acclaimed contemporary of Mozart and Beethoven.  He composed sonatas for the piano and is known as the “father of technique.”

     "Clementi was personally active in the production of his instruments, and today they are considered extremely valuable and rare.  For a time this particular instrument was owned by Bob Pierce, world renown collector of pianos and author of the Piano Atlas.

     "This instrument has been recently restrung,  All but 3 keys make sound, which is extremely unusual for a piano this age.  It has not been tuned for some time. The veneer has some cracking in it, mostly along the one inch boarder along the top and bottom. There has been a repair to a crack in the lid.  A piano hinge has been attached to the inside cover to stabilize it. Inside there is a decorative cover fort he strings painted green with leaves.  I have not seen one similar on this era piano. Stool is included, but is not period.

"Instruments of this age are more for curiosity, and not really for performance.

"Shipping outside the Denver area is the buyer’s responsibility.  I can provide local delivery and daily access for any piano movers the buyer may hire.  The piano is located on a ground floor.  I could lift the piano along with my wife, and I estimate it weighs about 110 lbs. without the legs.  Legs and single petal unscrew for transport.

"I accept paypal personal checks (with time to clear) and money orders."