Heat Gun

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Thu May 1 14:35:34 MDT 2008

Dave,
The issue of using a heat gun with reducing the affects of verdi gris  has
been talked about extensively on this list. I learned this trick many years
ago and it has consistently been an excellent Band-Aid approach to get
things working quickly. It also buys more time for the customer before a
total action restoration can be done.
It just a matter of taking the heat gun to the flanges ( while on the action
stack) and heat them. Keep the gun moving so to avoid any scorching of the
wood. I usually do one section at a time and it takes about 10 very slow
passes before you'll start to notice a blue/grey plume of smoke start to
arise from the parts. Continue going back and forth for about an additional
minute and then move onto the next section.
I'm not 100% sure what exactly is in the flange that has the low tolerance
to heat. I've heard some say that the flanges were soaked in whale oil or
something like that, others have said it's from mutton tallow ( not sure of
the spelling) which is the natural grease from the sheep's wool, and others
have other stories which have been passed onto them.
Whatever the solution is, it has a low tolerance to heat. The heat gun can
quickly burn the material  and release the center pin from the felt with
dramatic results. A healthy dose of Protek center pin lube after the heat
process will result in  pretty decent, playable action for about a year. At
least that's what I have notice here in S. Florida with extremely high humid
conditions. Maybe your part of the world might yield longer results.
 Since the whole process takes less than 5 mins to do, I  repeat the process
at each yearly tuning. Again, this is not a cure-all but a way of delaying
the inevitable of having to replacing the entire action.
Tom Servinsky