Flexy S&S D Keys

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri May 2 04:33:09 MDT 2008

> Terry, how did you ascertain that there was <<too much>> flex in the keys
> ?

My associate called me and said there was. Sorry, that's all I know at this
point.

> Del,  what is wrong with calling a spade a spade ?  Honestly folks... any
> <<improvement>> in an actions performance is wholly a result of the users
> reaction to the change.  There is no inherent improvment.... only a change
> in configuration.
>
> Thing is that for every person that would equate this change with an
> <<improvement>> there are probably at least that many if not 10 times as
> many who would not. You make the action stiffer when you make it
> stiffer... goes without saying...  if thats a good thing for the pianist
> in question fine... if its not...what ...are we going to get all down on
> the guy and snub our noses at him ?
>
> Why not just call a change a change and leave it at that .... along with
> making it clear to the customer what the change will do... pros and cons.
> Because there is always pros and cons.

Hmmm. I'm not a pianist, so I don't know the answer to your questions.
However, it seems to me that there are indeed some things that can be
identified as "right or wrong" and some things identified as "personal
preference". Personal preference is when many pianists like something one
way and many like it another way - like voicing - obviously a personal
preference. Keytop material - personal preference. Tuning temperament -
personal preference. Keys level - seems to me that's right or wrong (R/W).
Letoff a hair off - or 1 mm - probably personal preference, but letoff close
to the string or 5 mm from string - probably R/W.

I think there are lots of things that when taken to excess, would be
considered "wrong" by a vast majority of pianists, but when not so
excessive, would be in some sort of grey area. Key dip is one - there is a
range that would make most any pianist happy, although even within that
range there will be personal preferences - and outside that range it would
be called "wrong" by the majority of pianists - and of course, there is
someone who will always like a 13 mm dip.

Glenn Gould's posture at the piano was "wrong" - ask any piano teacher! I
agree. Would I say that to his face if he were still with us? Don't thing
so.

How 'bout action balancing? Is six leads in keys right or wrong? Is 70g DW
right or wrong? There are things that can fairly be identified as right or
wrong - and yet still have a personal preference component.

I am not a pianist and I don't have much acess to S&S concert grands - so I
am not intimately familiar with the key flex thing. However, intuitively,
and from what I read, it seems to me that this is one of those things that
when taken to extremes it is fair to call a key too flexy or not.

Are you looking for an arguement?

Try this on for size: Rib crowned and supported soundboard can never sound
as good as a compression crowned soundboard because you need "that tension"
in the panel to make it sing!

Or how 'bout this: A natural finish on a concert piano is wrong - any stage
piano must be black!

Oops! Gotta run.....  ;-)

Terry Farrell

> I'd like to know what the criteria for judging these particular keys to
> have to much flex are ?  Terry ?

Me too! I would really like to hear more on this.