Strike Point

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat May 3 14:30:14 MDT 2008

At 11:42 -0700 3/5/08, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>At C-88? You won't find any piano with a C-88 strike point of 1/7.
>There has never been any absolute consensus on the strike point
>along the C-88 strings but it is usually given as somewhere between
>1/12 and 1/20.

Yes.  I always design for 1/16 of the speaking length, which will
give roughly 3 mm. or 1/8 inch.

At 20:36 -0700 2/5/08, Matthew Todd wrote:

>Most of the time, the strike point is just below the V-bar, barely a 1/16''

As the hammers wear, the strike point will move closer to the front
bridge and adjustment will be needed.  Any facing or reduction of the
thickness of the felt at the nose of the hammer, which is
unfortunately often necessary with new hammers, will bring forward
the strike point.  When everything has been done to optimise the
performance of the hammer then it will be found that the best strike
point is indeed about 3 mm. or 1/8" from the front termination.

JD