Voicing Help

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun May 4 21:23:00 MDT 2008

? Julia
? I have never understood the Yamaha hammer design philosophy. They come back to the place you've described frequently. even with my best job of voicing I can not get the tone I want or the tone to last with a majority of OEM hammers.
?? So many good low compression hammers works so well in these pianos.? The Ronsen is a good one with 3 felts to choose from. I'd go Bacon or VFG felt. The Wurzen felt can be a bit? stiff in these pianos. I find the piano in general can develop more tonal potential & dynamics & a more enjoyable?tone overall with replacement hammers. Others may disagree....I'm ok with that.
? Dale Erwin

Greetings,

?

???????? I usually shallow needle my Yami's U3?hammers after tuning to take off the "glassy" edge. However, after 10+ years of playing on this piano (This is my personal piano), sugar-coating ain't cutting it anymore.? The hammers sound ear-piercing.?I side needled the area just in front?of the wood core, but this only alleviated the ear piercing sound a little.?These hammers were?packed hard?too!??Is Yamaha?hammer quality the problem? ?What am I doing wrong? ...or aren't I needling enough??

?

Thanks

Julia Gottshall

Reading, PA?