A=440 was Tuning

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon May 5 22:21:17 MDT 2008

Yes...

I carry always an instrument regularly calibrated with the universal
clock thingy in case I run into one of these guys... along with my Seiko
I got from Cybertuner when I bought that years ago with its cents offset
sticker on to illustrate that those inexpensive pitch sources are
anything but reliable.  This usually does the job of disarming them.

I generally hold instruments between 440 and 442 the whole year... but
then our climate pretty much makes this an easy task. Still the
observation I initially posted is something I stand by.  Most real life
situations are nearly laughable. An philiharmonic Orchestra recently
visited town demanding pitch to be set at 443. The harpist in the
orchestra refused to cooperate based on some reasoning that her harp fit
in better when it was tuned 442-. and the vibes were set at 444. I asked
her to play an A whilst I hit the corresponding A on the vibe just for
illustration... she just shrugged her head at the obvious discrepancy
but agreed that it put the piano tech in a rather absurd position.  I
run into this kind of thing all the time.

Another one I love is the insistance on the part of some pop stars who
are capable only of the most rudimentary piano playing to use 9 foot
brand new Steinway & Sons concert grands.  Only to pump the sound
through ofte times running the sound through sound systems run by sound
techs who have no idea how to deal with a piano in the first place.  The
resulatant piano sound is on a level with an average so-so keyboard. Yet
anything but a S&S D is usless to the group.

Ignorance abounds to be sure... and I suppose I am guilty of my share as
well.

Cheers
RicB

    In recent years there are quite a few musician's that like to check
    the pitch with their own pitch measuring device, however in adequate
    the device might be.

    Wayne Matley