A=440 was Tuning

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue May 6 06:56:43 MDT 2008

I agree totally! tuning at 438-439 right now, unless it's still holding at
440, then I'll watch it over the summer.  The harpsichords, however, I
learned the hard way last summer.  I neglected to look at some of them and
one in the basement had 9 broken strings in September!  I'll lower those
this month to 435!

Paul

Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
05/05/2008 06:06 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
A=440 was Tuning

A=440, or there abouts.

I float the pitch and have heard no complaints. RIght now, pianos are
tuned
-8 to -4 cents because they will traverse upwards through 440 as the
humidity
increases. I tuned a piano on Saturday for a performance. Last tune 12/07
at 441. I averaged it off at 438 because I know it will go sharp again
in the next few months. It saved a p/r now and a p/l later.

I have received more comments from string players that they prefer playing
at 441 or 2, and they really like the WT's I've been using. Lehman/Bach is
in first place for me.

Unless there is an absolute need to tune 440, I tell my clients that
it is better
to let the piano migrate through 440 seasonally than to set 440 at
tuning events.

Tuning stability and tuning pin tightness are not jeopardized this way.
--

Regards,

Jon Page