A=440 was Tuning

Robert Scott fixthatpiano at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 16:54:58 MDT 2008

david at piano.plus.com wrote:

> I  came across a website that has a nice 440Hz tone, with a great
> demonstration of beats between 440, 441 and 442. It's at:
> http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/acoustics/phase.htm

> Bottom of the page has the demo.  I did wonder whether different sound
> cards might affect the accuracy, but I've tried it on several computers
> and get identical results.

There is no magic way to get a tone that is more precise than the quartz crystal in your sound card.  I have a sound card that has a known offset from its calibration in sound generating mode in TuneLab.  When I go to that website and play A400, I get a tone that is off by exactly the amount indicated by the TuneLab calibration.  So if you get exactly A440, then you aare just lucky that your soundcard was not very far off.

Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan