Tuning

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Wed May 7 04:01:29 MDT 2008

    Yes, I learned to tune using a C - to - C temperament, but it was C3 to C4.  The beats are a little slower and easier to count than in the F3 to F4 temperament.  The main trouble with it, though, is that it often falls across the bass/tenor break, which, especially in small pianos, results in successive intervals that don't increase smoothly in their beating.
    Not knowing any other temperament sequence at the time, however, I persisted, and maybe it gave me early experience in dealing with "wild" strings and partials that just wouldn't fit the hoped-for pattern.
    --David Nereson, RPT