New computer software

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Thu May 8 10:55:37 MDT 2008

In about 1983, Kurzweil Music Systems circulated a PR video of their
flagship model 250, playing the Mozart 2 piano Sonata in duo with a
Steinway something. Their challenge, "You can't tell the difference" was
a bit overblown at the time, but still, the recording was surprisingly
effective, especially since nothing like it had ever been attempted
before. That was 25 years ago.

Since then, every electronic keyboard manufacturer has been working to
improve the sound and feel of their products, and I would have to grant
that they have been succeeding, however incrementally. No, it's not "as
good as the real thing", but I listened to most of the demos of the
Garritan samples, and some of them, especially the Pro, I thought were
at the least, very good. OK, it might not suffice for Murray Perahia's
next live performance, but for a lot of folks, in a lot of situations,
it could be very useful, and persuasive.

It's easy to turn up one's nose and sneer, but there have probably been
quite a few recordings and performances done on virtual instruments so
convincing that it never occurred to the listener to wonder whether it
was "real". Don't forget, when you're listening to a recording, it's not
the "real thing", it's ... a recording.

Also, in many live performance situations, the sound from the "pianist"
would be much better coming out of a virtual box, than the awful,
honking, imbalanced sound sent to the house from the microphone aimed
either into the "soundhole" or four inches from the octave 5 hammers.

I'm not saying, "Be afraid", I'm saying, give credit where credit's due.
I for one, would rather listen to the piano samples on the site below
than just about any spinet so-called piano. Is it perfect? Of course
not. Is any piano? Well, we aim for that, but ...

-Mark Schecter