New computer software

stuka at mindspring.com stuka at mindspring.com
Thu May 8 19:00:08 MDT 2008

I was going to say the same thing. If I had roadies, a staff piano tuner/tech, and a climate-controlled, air-ride truck for every gig, I would carry a grand to every gig.  Most piano players, the vast majority, don't have anything approaching that ability. Stage space is many times a consideration, as well. Using a "house" piano is dicey, too, you never know what is going to pass for a piano wherever you play. Or a piano tuner/tech. Like David points out, I hate every one I've tried so far, and I can't see anyone who regularly plays a real piano being satisfied with any fake one on the market, at least form what I've seen.  '

I'd like to demo this Steinway-endorsed product.  The demos might sound nice, but software and hardware companies have ways of hiding the flaws in their  product until they've got your cash in hand.  The Rachmaninoff demo of the Bosendorfer Akoustik Piano voice on the Native Instruments website sounds pretty good for what it is, but it cleverly avoids the middle octaves, which sound very tinny and synthy.  Got burned on that one.