floating the soundboard

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 8 19:03:32 MDT 2008

Hi Dean,

Are you replacing the soundboard? Or are you considering this as a retro-fit? A traditional rib position will likely give you a some trouble. A fanned rib array where the tail-most rib is approximately parallel to the belly rail lends itself much better to floating the bass.

With a traditional design (compression board) I would also be very concerned about panel support. In a RC&S board, a well-placed and dimensioned rib is down there at the tail to do it's job. On a compression board you don't have that.

I'm not saying to not do it, but rather that there are a lot of things to consider. When RC&S belly designers design a piano belly, they consider the entire system - string scaling, rim shape, ribs, everything. I suspect it is often difficult to pick one feature out of a modern RC&S design and apply it to a traditional compression board successfully.

Food for thought......

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble!

If you try it, let us know more details and how things work out. Maybe it has more chance of success than I might think.

Terry Farrell