Epoxy Bass Bridge Repair

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Fri May 9 03:13:46 MDT 2008

I crawled the archieves but I did not really find what I was looking for: does Epoxy work even for bigger gaps?

I wanted to tune a Kawai CE-11 upright yesterday but the bass bridge looked horrible: a long gap which affected 9 notes. The gap started at the upper pin row and the pins were vertical. Some strings rattled at the pins. The gap expanded up to 4 mm above the upper pin row. I did not try but I could imagine that I could have pulled out some pins without using pliers.

First at all: I never worked with Epoxy. My first thought was to pull out the pins, fill the gap with epoxy and drill new holes for new pins. Could that work or is such a gap too much for Epoxy? The bridge is made of one piece of wood, no cap.

I was shocked about such a gap in a Kawai from 1992 (no grey market import): no floor heating, no air con and no heater near by the piano. And I don´t live in an area with huge differences in the climate. Very strange. That damage is a pitty because everything else in this piano was in a pretty good condition. But making a new bridge would be definitely too expensive including transports from the second floor into a workshop and back to the customer.

Gregor