Key Repair

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri May 9 21:42:00 MDT 2008

Jack-
It can be done nicely if you have patience and a good hand for woodwork.
Remove tops and fronts.
Scrape or lightly plane the sides to clean wood.
Glue strips of basswood on the clean wood "facets." Hobby shop basswood is fine.
I use felt pads, strips of plexiglas and light spring clamps to clamp the wood strips.
Make gadgets to saw, plane and sand away the excess wood, matching the bottom edges of the keys.
Recover.
Ed Sutton