Epoxy Bass Bridge Repair

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sun May 11 02:57:42 MDT 2008

Aaaahhh, NOW I understand. Had problems due to language misunderstandings. Thank you very much, Terry.

Gregor

From: mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: Epoxy Bass Bridge Repair
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 21:00:30 -0400

Sorry, but I still don´t understand that statement. A
thin layer of Epoxy to remain in the joint? Of which joint you are talking
about: the joint of Epoxy and wood?

That's okay - we'll poke away at it
until you do understand!  ;-)

All that I was trying to point out is that
most glues (like Titebond) work best with a close-fitting joing - two wood faces
that meet nice and flush with one another - when they are clamped together, you
want significant clamping pressure and most of the glue to squeeze out. With
epoxy, you want just the opposite - the two faces of wood to be bonded together
need not fit together perfectly (in fact better is the joint is a little rough
or jagged) and when you clamp, the clamps are just to hold the two wooden faces
in position - not to apply pressure to squeeze the epoxy out - you want to leave
some epoxy in the joint between the two wooden faces to be
bonded.

What does it mean for practice? Should I first apply a
little bit of Epoxy to the wood, let it become hard, and then apply the Epoxy
with the filler?

No. Read on the West System web site about their
two-step bonding process:

Two-step
bonding

    1. Wet-out
      bonding surfaces-Apply a neat resin/hardener mixture (without fillers) to
      the surfaces to be joined (Figure 9). Wet out small or tight areas with a
      disposable brush. Wet out larger areas with a foam roller or by spreading
      the resin/hardener mixture evenly over the surface with a plastic
      spreader. You may proceed with step two immediately or any time before the
      wet-out coat reaches the final cure stage.

    2. Apply
      thickened epoxy to one bonding surface. Modify the resin/hardener mixture
      by stirring in the appropriate filler until it becomes thick enough to
      bridge any gaps between the mating surfaces and to prevent "resin-starved"
      joints. Apply enough of the mixture to one of the surfaces, so that a
      small amount will squeeze out when the surfaces are joined together with a
      force equivalent to a firm hand grip (Figure 10).

      Thickened epoxy can be applied
      immediately over the wet-out surface or any time before the wet-out
      reaches its final cure. For most small bonding operations, add the filler
      to the resin/hardener mixture remaining in the batch that was used for the
      wet-out. Mix enough resin/hardener for both steps. Add the filler quickly
      after the surface is wet out and allow for a shorter working life of the
      mixture.

    3. Clamp
      components. Attach clamps as necessary to hold the components in place.
      Use just enough clamping pressure to squeeze a small amount of the epoxy
      mixture from the joint, indicating that the epoxy is making good contact
      with both mating surfaces (Figure 11). Avoid using too much clamping
      pressure, which can squeeze all of the epoxy mixture out of the
      joint.

    4. Remove
      or shape excess adhesive that squeezes out of the joint as soon as the
      joint is secured with clamps. A wooden mixing stick with one end sanded to
      a chisel edge is an ideal tool for removing the excess (Figure
    12).

Make sense?

I hope this helps you.

Terry Farrell