floating the soundboard

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon May 12 13:02:15 MDT 2008

RicB wrote:
I see we agree on most points. Thanks for the level headed reply as is your want.  The only area we dont seem to intersect on the particular thread is what relevance our comments to each other has to do with Deans original post.  I was under the impression your reply to me was directed at my comments of http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2008-May/222195.html, not Deans post. I simply asked him why he was interested in experimenting with floating the bass region. In re-reading that post I see nothing controversial in it.  Just a bit of ordinary musing along with a question. The aftermath I agree has nothing really to do with Deans post, and I have already commented to that effect.

I guess I was just commenting on the research involved in finding some answers - you mentioned the advantages of production volume, etc. My comments were simply a suggestion on how one could bypass much of that process by consulting with a designer familiar with the concept.

As to whom elste in the wide world is working on floating soundboards... well I honestly dont know... tho I have absolutely no doubt if I took the time to hunt I could find some... and probably some of their ideas would vary from Dels and Ron N's... as do some of Ron O's ideas vary from these first two.  This is only natural yes ???

Oh probably. I wouldn't be too surprised - hey, they were doing that 100 years ago. I just am not aware of anyone else - that's all.

As for the degree to which you were addressing "planetary piano redesign philosophy/abilities"  or not in your initial response to me http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2008-May/222197.html  all I can say is that it looked to me like that was exactly what you WERE doing in contrast to actually addressing Deans inquiry.  I still dont see where you addressed anything from Deans posts in that one... but it really doesn't matter. As I said in my last... nothing here to get anyones feathers all rilled as far as I can see.

Not on my end either. I'd be willing to bet that 98+% of all list readers have hit the delete button long before reading this tidy little end to this thread......  ;-)

Terry Farrell