floating the soundboard

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue May 13 01:58:05 MDT 2008

At 00:58 +0200 13/5/08, Stéphane Collin wrote:

>Your comment in this thread awakes an old question I had in mind for years.
>On the Bechstein pianos from before 1875 that I encountered, the treble part
>of the soundboard is floating.  Some have fanned ribbing, some have ribs
>parallel to the grain, but all have the last treble rib parallel to the
>small side of the piano, and ending the board which is not glued to the rim
>there.  What is the idea behind this arrangement ?

The other Berlin maker, Görs & Kallmann, also did this round about
the turn of the century and perhaps for longer.  It's difficult to
say if they had a particular tonal objective but it does allow a
slight reduction in the width of the piano.  When I put my special
soundboard in one of these, a 5'2" grand, I left the treble floating
and also floated the bass for about a foot.  The treble on this piano
is very special and gives the impression of echoing round the rim,
but the my soundboard is not standard at all, so it's hard to say if
this was a characteristic of the original.

On Viennese Bösendorfer grands I have come across, the whole front
edge of the soundboard is floating, heavily arched with a maple bar.

JD