OT - Gas I gasped!

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed May 14 13:44:59 MDT 2008

Somebody wrote:
<< Ecology minded people have succeeded in preventing ANY exploration off

85% of our coastline, and environmental impact statements, etc. have

likewise prevented any new refineries/reactors/hydrodams, even windfarms.

NIMBY* quasi-environmentalists, like Ted Kennedy, have spouted support

of such "free" power sources like wind, but not anywhere which would

ruin any of his view. (*Not In My Back Yard)

There are more caribou on the north slope of Alaska now than before the

pipeline was built (I've been there and seen them), but a large, proven

reserve of oil would be on line now if it weren't for ill-informed

citizenry and their activists. >>

   I must disagree.  The oil in Alaska is our grandchildren's oil.  Will we
burn ALL of our resources and leave them with nothing but the pollution?  And
how vulnerable will we be when we have no reserves?  Keep the glutttons out of
Alaska.

    The American consumer has become accustomed to the cheap price of energy
gained by our military might,(there is a tremendous correlation), and the rest
of the world is gradually coming to see that we don't offer them hope, just
the chance to be exploited by us.
   American foreign policy has always been motivated by creating markets for
our corporations, and gaining access to the resources in any country we can
destabilize.  Our 20th century history in Latin and South America is obvious
proof that we do not respect democracy,(think Allende, Noriega, etal), but
rather, are willing to destroy any government that gets in the way of our profit.
(Ask any student of Nicaraguan history why the USMC has been in that country 7
times in 100 years, it will drive you bananas.)
      Our claim of an energy crisis is laughable to those around the globe
that have seen us squander our potential.  The world's oil will ultimately be
worth far more as a source of raw material, and to continue burning it for its
caloric value is just plain stupid.

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new
twists on family favorites at AOL Food.<BR>
(http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)</HTML>