center pinning question

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Wed May 14 18:34:20 MDT 2008

David,

I lean towards that kind of explanation, as well, although still it's
a bit hard for me to understand how nap change or fluffing could
create the amount of increased friction that I sometimes find. With
this set I was just using the swing test, but if need be I have my
stupidly expensive Correx gauge as well. The increased friction with
the new pins was very noticeable, though - however you measured it -
and I mic'd quite a few to be sure I wasnt' imagining this, or
missing something.

Allen Wright, RPT
London, UK

On May 15, 2008, at 1:22 AM, David Ilvedson wrote:

> Don't know...maybe fluffing up the bushing?   I've have been doing
> a lot of repinning...I'm now in the 5 - 6 grams camp for hammer
> flanges.   How are you measuring your flanges...?
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

> From: "Allen Wright" <akwright at btopenworld.com>
> To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
> Subject: center pinning question
>

>> In repinning an old (1930's) Steinway M, quite a few were loose. I
>> found that replacing the old pins with the exact same size (but new)
>> pins was producing just the amount of friction needed - and even in
>> some cases adding too much, so that I had to ream with my "Mannino"
>> burnishing files. Any theories on how that happens? Something to do
>> with the nap of the cloth changing in the process, or perhaps the
>> angle of the pin changing in the bushing, or (even more unlikely)
>> that somehow only the outer edges of the pin are slightly worn on the
>> old pins? (These are the various ideas me and my colleagues were
>> coming up with to explain the phenomenon).
>
>> Thanks, and I'll take my answer off the air...   : )
>
>> Respectfully,
>
>> Allen Wright. RPT

Allen Wright
London, UK