center pinning question

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Wed May 14 20:36:18 MDT 2008

Allen

Two theories.

One, just to be on?the safe side, did you actually measure the new pins to make sure it is the exact same size as the old pin??Or are you just reaching into your box of pins, and pulling one from a box that says?size (51), or whatever???

Two, when you measured the old pin, did you measure the middle of the pin, or at the end? I'm just guessing here, but I wonder if perhaps the ends of the pins are just slightly smaller where it was in contact with the bushing cloth. Perhaps the nickel plating, or some other outer surface of the pin, was "eaten" off by the felt, or what ever was or is in the felt. So when you measured the middle of the pin, it is the same size as your new pin, but the ends of the pins are slightly smaller, which is why the bushing was loose.

As?I said, just speculating. Comments, anyone.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of