Key-Capstan-Wippen Heel Alignment

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 15 04:15:53 MDT 2008

> You're aware of this one, but it might be worth the trouble. Inlay a maple
> strip over the balance rail pins and relocate them to line the capstans up
> with the wippen rail.

Oh, good grief! Indeed I am aware of that - and quite practiced at it also -
but only to adress the pulley-key condition that WAS present on this
keyboard. And I thought I was so darn smart locating the hole EXACTLY where
the "origianl masters" had placed it. I thought that they ALWAYS did
EVERYTHING perfectly!

Well, maybe I need some MORE practice.......

> Not a heck of a lot more trouble than relocating capstans - maybe, and you
> ought to have new key pins anyway.

Got new keypins.

> First though, how do the key ends currently line up with the damper
> levers?

Like crap. The strings, action rails and damper assembly are all aligned
quite well - seems to be only the keys are out of whack.

Thanks for the suggestion. I sure wish you would have suggested that BEFORE
I fixed the pulley keys. Maybe I need to send you a shop task list
periodically so that you can save me from doing the same task three times.

Good suggestion. Thanks. I'll have to think on this a bit.

Terry Farrell