New Bass Strings Buzzing

pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 15 09:20:21 MDT 2008

Last summer I restrung a 5' Hazelton grand using Mapes bass strings which I
ordered through Pianotek. Since then the monochords have developed loose
winding buzzing. I have taken them off and twisted them 3 times now, and
when I come back to retune the buzzing has returned. I have had an
occasional problem with a new string before which usually is remedied by
twisting the string, but nothing as persistent as this. My guess is that the
strings weren't swedged properly. Anyone else had this problem before,
particularly with Mapes?
Thanks,
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician