center pinning question

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Thu May 15 13:57:23 MDT 2008

Don,

That's basically what I meant with my first possibility ("nap of the
cloth changing"), although you express it much more clearly. I looked
to see if the pins were roughly cut on the ends, but they actually
looked like pretty clean cuts. It's quite possible the cloth is being
roughed up by either my extracting pliers, or a rough pin end, but it
just surprises me how much more friction was being added; we're
talking about going from 12 swings )maybe more) of the hammer to
noticeably tight (coupla swings) just by replacing the pin. Have you
ever experienced such a difference?

Your idea of the sharp tip catching makes sense, too, although almost
every pin I replaced behaved like this, so maybe that's not as likely.

Well, the repinning went fine, so it's not really a problematic
situation I'm inquiring about here. Just sort of mysterious. It'd be
nice to understand what's going on.

By the way, by chance I happened upon your very first PTJ article on
center pin broaches (where you instructed us how to make our own)
recently, and enjoyed it very much. The broaches certainly make
repinning a lot more systematic and consistent.

Thanks,

Allen Wright

On May 15, 2008, at 5:39 AM, Don Mannino wrote:

> Allen,
>
> It's hard to say for sure, but a few more possibilities:
>
> - Pushing the old pin out disturbed the cloth fibers
> substantially.  This can happen especially when the original pin
> was cut on both sides, and you have pushed a 'burr' through the
> bushing in the process of extracting the pin.  The pin extraction
> tool could also theoretically be rough or bent at the tip,
> disturbing the cloth a lot when pushing the pin through.
>
> - When installing the new pin, the point of a sharp pin will
> sometimes snag wool fibers on the through the bushing, causing the
> fit to become tight.  This doesn't usually happen consistently.
>
> Don Mannino

Allen Wright
London, UK

http://www.broadjam.com/akwright