center pinning question

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Thu May 15 14:06:51 MDT 2008

p.s. Willem,

I did try measuring the ends of the pins, when one of my shop
colleagues offered this idea as his theory. It's tough to measure
just the very end with the micrometer, though! I didn't feel
confident I was getting a good reading. It'd be interesting to look
at them under the microscope, though, and see if any wear was apparent.

I wonder if anyone else thinks that the pins themselves wear like
that? Like water wearing away stone, year after year...

Allen