Gas I gasped!

Will Wickham wwickham at stny.rr.com
Fri May 16 12:42:42 MDT 2008

I did not compare the Prius to other Hybrids before I purchased so I
can't speak to that. What I can say is that I haven't had any issues
with carrying space in mine yet. I have a shop tilter that I use in
the field from time to time and even that fits inside the little beast
by folding the back seat flat. In spite of the small appearance
outside there is a surprising amount of room inside.

Cost wise - when I purchased the Prius (it's a 2007) I paid $24K and
was intending to get a 3-5 year old Subaru AWD and planning on
spending about 18-20K for that. My research at the time suggested that
while the "payback" time for gas savings between those choices would
be longer, the real savings over the Caravan that I had been driving
more than makes up for the higher monthly payment. Add to that a
higher trade-in value (when I purchased in June 2007 2003 models were
trading in for around 16-18K) and the economics made great sense to me.

As for handling - a friend of mine recently purchased one and reports
having avoided an accident that he never would have been able to avoid
in any other car he has ever driven. The vehicle stability control,
anti lock brakes and other stability related safety features are
excellent in my opinion.

All in all I've been extremely pleased with the car.

will wickham

"making the world a better place one piano at a time"