Gas I gasped ...

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat May 17 20:41:50 MDT 2008

Not to mention that my 1966 Chevy Impala got about 6 miles to the gallon!

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

> The average price of gasoline in the US in 1970 was 34 cents including
> tax. That would be $1.88 in 2008 dollars. Local prices are running $3.73
> here in Missouri. So, in real terms the price of gasoline has gone up
> almost 100%. During that time, average real wages have gone up about 18%
> according to the the Chicago Fed. I have seen studies that show real
> wages have remained nearly flat since 1976 but let's give the Fed a
> break. So, we are earning 60% as much gasoline per hour of work ... on
> the average compared to 1970. In real terms (adjusted for inflation) the
> price of gasoline has risen significantly more than the average wage.
>
> Your mileage may vary,
>
> Steve Brooks

It certainly may vary. Depending on how you chose your
statistics, you can make any case you like. My wages have gone
up considerably more than 18% since 1970 (since 2000, for that
matter), as has my vehicle's mileage, and I can still drive as
far or farther on an hour's wages than I could at age 19.
That's what I said, that's what I meant.

Anyone working on pianos these days?
Ron N