Steinway O revisited

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat May 17 20:36:05 MDT 2008

Greg:

The float is usually done in the bass to give the tail of the soundboard
more flexibility and enhance the bass response.  In order to do that the rib
array is usually fanned so that the #1 rib is pretty much parallel to the
belly rail.  At least that's what I've seen.  There are others who are
better equipped to speak to the theory of rib alignment as it relates to
bass floats.

The ideas that appear on this particular O are not mine exclusively but have
been discussed in great length on the list (and in articles and conventions)
by several people.  With a bit of research through the list there is an
abundance of information for the taking plus there are a number of regular
contributors who are and have been very generous with sharing their thoughts
and methods.  The O makes a great rebuilding piano and offers many
opportunities for changes and improvements (yes, I did say that didn't I?)
should you decide to go that route.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com