Surplus pianos

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Thu May 22 03:28:40 MDT 2008

Pat mentioned Craig's list. Here on Hawaii there are a lot of pianos advertised for very little money, or even given away. I've tuned?several that weren't all that bad.?I'm currently trying to sell a 30 year old Kimball console for only a $1000 and have had?only a couple of inquiries.?

Unfortunately, this?trend of giving away pianos will only increase our business a little. While it's nice that these instruments are back in circulation, and being used by students to learn piano, most of the piano will need work, but the people who buy them, or take them, don't have any money to spend on them.?

As far as your predicament in?Canada, Jim, perhaps some enterprising?technician?will buy them cheap,?or less,?and take them to the big cities to sell.??

As far as other uses, I've seen planters, computer desks, and book cases made out of the cabinets of big uprights. Sell the cast iron and copper from?the strings, and salvage the screws and hinges.

Wim