lo-o-o-ong sustain

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Thu May 22 16:46:24 MDT 2008

I have to say: I've tuned in some rooms with a lot of reverb before,
but this one takes the cake (see below); the reverb time must have
been 5 seconds (probably more - I only had 30 minutes to tune, so not
a lot of time to get out the stopwatch : )    No doubt many of you
have tuned in museums before, and know what the experience is like.
This room sounds like a small cathedral - note the size of the guy
down at the end of the room. That gives an idea of scale, and is
where the stage was - under the dome! (Igor Levitt with the English
Chamber Orchestra).

http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/paintings/galleries/48a/index.html

What with the chaos of chairs being setup (locked together in some
noisy fashion) and a guy going around with some kind of compression
gun, stapling the the stage floor together, I was really glad to have
my ETD to help clean up unisons (especially in the treble). With that
kind of reverb, bad unisons can get smoothed over and hard to hear.

Allen Wright
London, UK