lo-o-o-ong sustain

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu May 22 18:10:46 MDT 2008

Allen  writes:

<< I've tuned in some rooms with a lot of reverb before,
but this one takes the cake (see below); the reverb time must have
been 5 seconds (probably more - I only had 30 minutes to tune, so not
a lot of time to get out the stopwatch : )    No doubt many of you
have tuned in museums before, and know what the experience is like.   >>

I once attempted to tune a Steinway D in the Parthenon, (here in Nashville we
have an exact replica of the original, and ours is better than the original
'cause it hasn't fallen apart).
   The entire interior is marble and concrete, and it is huge.  Reverb is
approx 15 seconds, which meant that I could still hear the beating of a unison
long after I had it tuned,(with a SAT).  It would have been impossible to do it
aurally, and I told the pianist that was playing later to forget about using
the damper pedal.
Worst tuning environment I have ever had, (that includes years of rock
concert tuning).
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch
"Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.<BR>
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)</HTML>