lo-o-o-ong sustain

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri May 23 05:02:21 MDT 2008

A440A at aol.com wrote:
> Allen  writes:
>
> << I've tuned in some rooms with a lot of reverb before,
> but this one takes the cake (see below); the reverb time must have
> been 5 seconds (probably more - I only had 30 minutes to tune, so not
> a lot of time to get out the stopwatch : )    No doubt many of you
> have tuned in museums before, and know what the experience is like.   >>
>
> I once attempted to tune a Steinway D in the Parthenon, (here in Nashville we
> have an exact replica of the original, and ours is better than the original
> 'cause it hasn't fallen apart).
>    The entire interior is marble and concrete, and it is huge.  Reverb is
> approx 15 seconds, which meant that I could still hear the beating of a unison
> long after I had it tuned,(with a SAT).  It would have been impossible to do it
> aurally, and I told the pianist that was playing later to forget about using
> the damper pedal.
> Worst tuning environment I have ever had, (that includes years of rock
> concert tuning).
> Regards,
>

> Ed Foote RPT

Ed,

At least you had a piano to try to tune. Try a spinet PSO in an airplane
hanger big enough for a couple C5A transports. It _did_, however, seem
to help with the normal nanosecond sustain of the top octave...

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be
used against you.