Una corda and double damper lift

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Sat May 24 18:56:53 MDT 2008

Hi Paul,

Was the customer complaining of una corda voicing?

I don't believe all pianos/piano actions are designed to miss strings
with the una corda engaged.  The hammers on those designed for missing are
spaced a hair to the right, so clearing the left string is easier.

Depending on the situation, the fix could be as simple as slicing off a bit
of the right side of the key-end felt.

Or, if there are big alignment problems, shape the hammers and adjust the
rest block at the bass end of the
action cavity (so the action rests more to the left)--and then re-space and
realign everything else.  :-[

Or, for una corda voicing you can carefully voice (needle) the hammers
between the string cuts.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL