Hammer suggestions revisited

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun May 25 08:00:13 MDT 2008

While I am generally a fan of softer hammers and Ronsen for many if not most
situations, I wouldn't choose Bacon felt for this application.  The Wurzens
might work but even they might be a bit soft in the upper end.  Of course,
you could always harden them.  For a higher tension concert piano like this
I prefer something like the Abel Select (Pianotek).  It has warmth but
adequate power in the tenor and will deliver the bite that you want in a
larger venue.  They are somewhat heavy so be sure you assess the leverage
and make adjustments as necessary.

The jangling duplex is another issue on those pianos and presents problems
no matter what hammer you have.  I have often thought about removing those
contraptions but haven't come up with a reasonable way to replace them.  I
recall Del Fandrich mentioning something about doing it awhile ago but I
don't think he elaborated on the list.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com