Striking point

A E eve_ane at hotmail.co.uk
Thu May 29 20:06:41 MDT 2008

Shokingly this piano is absolutely remarkable, I have made some of my best recordings of it and if you with I'll pass you my youtube link and you can tell me yourself. My fiance still can't believe its an upright.
This piano was restored once before by Bösnedorfer, while i was working for them, and they found absolutely no faults in it. Even after it was dropped down a flight of stairs and back post knocked out, soundboard didnt even crack, crown remains, and even with all the abuse it got from my vigorous playing, and moving it around this planet 4 times it held up very well. the drop has caused some structural damage which as I wrote i repaired myself and it was great.
Before the drop however the piano sounded fine, but since, the action has shifted weirdly, and something went strange with the sound. I had a proposition to install hammers from a  S290 Bösendorfer, basically this piano is undergoing constant experiments by me. But when it comes to things like striking point, and regulation, I just dont know what to do...

Have you ever crosses these types of pianos before, if so, what would you say about them?

Alicia

Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 20:31:57 -0400From: jpdraine at gmail.comTo: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: Re: Striking pointAlicia,
My impression of Ukraine/Bylerussian uprights of this vintage is that while they may *look* OK, they are often quite deficient. It's understandable that you *hoped* the problem is as simple as adjusting strike point but as others have written there's a whole lot of other stuff that needs to be correct (scaling, soundboard, bridges, bass string quality, hammer quality, etc.).
"Ya can't tell a book by its cover."
Patrick Draine