Striking point

A E eve_ane at hotmail.co.uk
Sat May 31 06:41:23 MDT 2008

Thanx for the reply Jessica,

Bosendorfer techs didnt sell me the piano they simply restored it for me, when I worked in Vienna i was goin gthrue storage area once and I found this in the back, I loved the sound so much it wasen't funny! So technically I got it for free from them.. if you dont think about the voluntary work I did tuning some S290s in the showroom for that piano.... But ok, anyhow!

I cheked the soundboard thoroughly, edges, spacers, everything was fine, it was the very very left post, that popped out, and the side wall of  the piano came off too... Which again I repaired with no problems at all, and its as strong as ever! The keybed has cracks but it didnt come appart or anything, though I changed the casters I had which were tiny (I'm 6ft tall and my knees didnt fit under the keybed which i didnt like) and put in some larger grand sized casters... Thats the only change I made in pianos height.. The piano seems to be alot heavier than normal for this size, it took 4 men to move it and they had issues with it, they said it was approx 250-350kg.
If it will help I will take pictures of it, since its apparart right now anyway for some mid summer repairs I like to do every 6 months or so. I will replace the side posts because the walls were ripped off, and some wood came off alittle, and I never stick my upright back to the wall it's always facing the room, so I need it to look nice.... Though I'm clueless which wood will work best...

I lost no wood whats so ever during the drop and it was quite a drop as well from the second floor The frame isnt attached to the keybed since as i said it has a grand "shift" action to mute the strings, which i find strange, but more comfortable. I have cheked all the screws and all is nice and tight. I was simply thinking of tracking down some good beechwood and making myself another keybed...

Expansion cracks, how exactly do they diminish effect of weather on keybed?

Alicia,
Did those Bosendorfer techs or whoever they are sell you the piano?

Sounds like the fall wasn’t too good for the piano.  If it was okay and you liked it before, I would think that the hammers are fine too.  I don’t know what back post came out but there are nose bolts attached to these that affect the plate height.   If the post dropped as well as popped out and the spacers moved you may have another problem.  Have you taken a good light and made sure from both sides that the soundboard and the liner are still glued up?  I have had pianos with soundboard loose around the perimeter.