horrid "repairs"

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Sat May 31 07:53:23 MDT 2008

<G> Wow! How did D#1 sound?
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Formsma
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 7:25 AM
  Subject: horrid "repairs"

  "Tuned" a Wurlitzer studio yesterday.  It had been "taken care of for years" by a piano tooner, who was known for poor work.  He is in failing health, so they called me.

  Of the 48 bass strings, only 11 were originals.  All the rest were universals, and many obviously the wrong size.  I'm guessing none of them were ever measured with a micrometer. (Can you imagine how it sounded?)

  Look at the nice bass string replacement in the attached photo (Image018.jpg).

  There was also another weird "repair."  Two big blocks of hammer felt and one 5/8" dowel were shoved between the back posts and the ribs of the soundboard.  I'm assuming an attempt to introduce crown. ???  I didn't get a picture of that because of poor light, and only having my cell phone camera.  I just left that alone because I didn't want to deal with any unforeseen hassle that might ensue upon removal, and because the piano is toast anyway. (Loose tuning pins, needs hammer flange repinning, worn hammers, etc.)

  Also attached is a photo (of a different piano) that I snapped some time ago. (Image011.jpg)

  --
  JF